UPSC GEOLOGIST EXAMINATION
A) Geological Survey of India (Category I)
B) Central Ground Water Board (Category II)
Written test and interview / personality test are the two phases of the test that the eligible applicants have to sit for. Interview / personal test are for those candidates who will qualify the written test.
a) Written test
Applicants who will compete for both the categories have to appear for the following papers:
1. General English
2. Geology Paper I
3. Geology Paper II
4. Geology Paper III
Time Allotment and marks allotted
1. General English – 2 hours paper – 100 marks
2. Geology Paper I – 3 hours paper – 200 marks
3. Geology Paper II – 3 hours paper – 200 marks
4. Geology Paper III – 3 hours paper – 200 marks
5. Hydro-geology – 3 hours paper – 200 marks
– Applicants who want to compete for Category I need to appear for papers 1 to 4.
– Applicants applying for Category II shall appear for papers 1 to 3 and 5 only.
– Total marks allotted are 900 marks.
Write a short essay in English. Other related questions will be there to check the knowledge of candidates in English.
Geology Paper I
Geomorphology and Remote Sensing (Section A), Structural Geology (Section B), Geotectonic (Section C), Stratigraphy (Section D), Paleontology (Section E).
Geology Paper II
Mineralogy (Section A), Igneous and metamorphic Petrology (Section B), Sedimentology (Section C), Geochemistry (Section D), Environmental Geology (Section E)
Geology Paper III
Indian mineral deposits and mineral economics (Section A), Ore genesis (Section B), Mineral exploration (Section C), Geology of fuels (Section D), Engineering Geology (Section E)
Origin, occurrence and distribution of water (Section A), Well Hydraulies and well design (Section B), Groundwater chemistry (Section C), Groundwater problems and management.
b) Interview / Personality Test
Personal interview carries 200 marks. Qualifying candidates in written examination are called for the second level of selection.