Union Public Service Commission
National Defence Academy and Naval Academy
NDA and NA
UPSC NDA and NA: Number of vacancies:
The total number of vacancies is approximately 355. The vacancies are provisional and can be changed depending on the availability of training capacity of National Defence Academy (NDA). The list of vacancies for the second examination is as follows:
Army – 195, Navy – 39, Air Force – 66 and Indian Naval Academy – 55.
NDA and NA examination Pattern:
This examination has two sets of selection process. One set is the written examination and the second set is the personal interview.
Written examination will basically include Mathematics (Code I) and General Ability Test (Code II). Both these subjects will have two and half hours of time allotted. Mathematics will carry 300 marks and General Ability Test comprises of 600 marks. Total marks for these tests is 900.
General Ability has two parts in it. Part A – English and Part B – General Knowledge. English will carry maximum of 200 marks and General Knowledge will carry maximum of 400 marks.
– The question paper will consist of objective type of questions
– Mathematics and Part B of the question paper will have questions in both English and Hindi.
– The commission has the discretion to fix qualifying marks in any or all the subjects of the examination.
– Usage of calculators is strictly prohibited
– There is a negative marking (penalty) for every wrong answers marked by the candidate. For each wrong answer one third (0.33) of the marks allotted to that question will be deducted.
– If a question is let blank, then there is no penalty for that question.
Candidates will be put under personality test. Intelligence test by both verbal and non verbal will be assessed. Candidates will also be put under group tests, group planning, outdoor group tasks, and then will be asked to provide brief lectures on them. Candidates are assessed so that the board members can check the caliber of the candidates in terms of both mental and social traits.