Every year the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) executes an examination known as Joint Entrance Examination (JEE), for admission to Undergraduate Courses in fifteen IITs located in Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Delhi, Gandhinagar, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jodhpur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Mandi, Mumbai, Patna, Ropar and Roorkee, Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University (IT-BHU) Varanasi and Indian School of Mines (ISM) Dhanbad.
Eligibility Criteria / Who can Apply?
1. The candidate who have passed their class 12 examinations from a recognized board or the candidates who will be giving their final examinations of 10+2 in 2012 are also eligible to apply.
2. Candidates belonging to General (GE), Other Backward Classes (OBC) and DS categories must secure at least 60% marks in aggregate in their Qualifying Examination.
3. Candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Physically Disabled (PD) categories must secure at least 55% marks in aggregate in the Qualifying Examination.
4. General (GE) and Other Backward Classes (OBC) category candidates must have been born on or after October 1, 1987. Those born earlier are not eligible to appear in IIT-JEE 2012.
However, in the case of SC, ST and PD candidates, upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years.
What is the Exam pattern?
Two sets of question papers will be there, for each paper two hours is being allotted. Both the question papers will consist of three sections on Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. The question will be of
- Objective type,
- Designed to test comprehension,
- Reasoning and
- Analytical ability of candidates.
Specially designed, machine-gradable sheet of paper ORS (Optical Response Sheet) are given where the answers for each of the questions are to be recorded.
While answering each of the questions the candidate is expected to darken the bubble(s) against correct answer(s) using hard black (HB) pencils only. In some sections, incorrect answers may have negative marks.
The board of IIT JEE has revised the exam pattern by bringing certain changes into it, they are following:-
1. Only two attempts are allowed – one in qualifying year & other year followed.
2. Students who have 60% aggregate in boards are allowed to appear & get admission when they qualify only in seven IIT’s & in case of SC, ST, and OBC – relaxation of about 55%
3. There will cut off in each section.
4. It has 40 questions in each which are objective type.
5. Each question in this engineering entrance exam is of 3 marks & total marks for this paper is 252.
How to Apply for IIT JEE Exam?
The candidate can apply either online or offline methods.
The form is available at any of the Union Bank branches, and the forms are also available at any of the IIT’s.
Students can visit any of the IIT websites and fill the form online. Once you have filled in the details, you can take a print of the form and send it to the concerned address alongside the challan. The fees can be paid at any branch of the Union bank.
The detailed description of the Application Fee is given below:
Applicant’s Category ( Gender )
IIT JEE Online
IIT JEE Offline
|GE / OBC ( male )||Rs. 1600||Rs. 1800|
|SC / ST / PD ( male )||Rs. 800||Rs. 1000|
|All Categories ( female )||Nil||Rs. 200|
The examinees can answer the IIT JEE paper in either Hindi or English .The preference is to be noted correctly in the admission form. This is because students who have not indicated their language preferences will have to write the exam in English.
Contact Address for the IIT JEE
Address: Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi – 110 016, INDIA
FAX: (91) 011-2658 2037, (91) 011-2658 2277